Sunday, June 28, 2009

Why no Parking on 8th St?

In a comment on my last post, Earl asked why Commissioners Huber, Arnold and Mckee voted to NOT provide an additional 4 spaces of parking on NE 8th St behind the Statehouse.

I have no idea why Commissioner McKee voted as she did. She stood, actually sat, mute and just said no.

Commissioner Huber, as best I can recollect, was very disturbed by the City of Boise making this request. She accused them, via a City staffperson, of playing the handicapped card ie, that there is a need for more handicapped parking not only in that area, but everywhere. The pleas from officeholders, merchants and a very interested and informed citizen did not hold sway with Ms Huber. She also mentioned that ACHD generally goes along with the property owner's request. In this case the property owner is the State of Idaho, which I thought meant that the property actually belongs to all of us.

Quite frankly, I cannot remember if Commissioner Arnold spoke or not.

The video from the June 24, 2009 meeting will be posted here sometime before July 1, 2009. You can watch the entire meeting or just go the 8th St agenda item and get the unfiltered skinny.

4 Comments:

At June 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to let you know I am impressed by your example of transparent government through this blog.

Please be encouraged and keep up the fight. You are making a difference.

 
At June 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Thanks. It's good to know that people are reading it.

 
At June 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Steven G. Stubbs said...

I want to second what Randy said. You have done the amazing thing thus! However, I was unaware that you would go to this length to communicate with the concerned citizens in Ada about what has happened in the ACHD board meeting. I only discovered your blog when I looked for any update on the Shamrock punch-through. I will tell others in my neighborhood about you, but I wonder what you have done so far to ensure those of us concerned citizens know of your blog.

 
At June 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Steven. Thanks for stopping in. The spread of this has been kind of word of mouth. It was in the Idaho Statesman one time. I tried to have it linked at the ACHD website but of course that would have been too horrible to contemplate so no dice.

You can sign up for blog updates and you can pass the word.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home